Sewing is a practical and classic skill to teach girls of any age. But starting while they are young gives them an advantage in the field as well as gives you a glimpse of their interest in it, or lack of interest. Providing the wrong equipment or something too big or complicated to use, could impede the budding seamstress in your life. How do you go about choosing the correct sewing machine for her? This article will introduce you to a few of the top choices for young sewers today, providing the details of each so you can feel great knowing you made an informed decision.
The Benefits of Children’s Sewing Machines
Sewing machines explicitly designed to be operated by a child are less complicated to work with. It enables the child to learn from sewing as a process, rather than merely focusing on the finished product.
It is important to find the best sewing machine for your child, so they can learn about the mechanics and essential functions of the machine without being confused.
Some More Benefits Of Finding The Best Fitting Child Sewing Machines Are:
- Introducing a life skill at a young age allows for the child’s young mind and body to become familiar with this skill they will use for the rest of their lives.
- Machines designed for children have safety measures in place that a full-size sewing machine does not, which in turn eases your fears as a parent while your child uses it.
- Custom sewing patterns to entice children’s creativity and draw their attention is a bonus you get with a child-focused machine. Fun designs make sewing enjoyable. Your child will get to show off their hand made products at the end of the day with pride. From doll clothes to napkins, your child will learn that hard work pays off.
Sewing Machines Built For Children
What makes children’s sewing machines different from adults lies in the safety features they provide, the ease of operation, and the size of them. A child’s sewing machine may come with a guard for their finger, which prevents them from being pricked with the needle or, worse, being sewn in. There are also some manufacturers who have come up with threadless models, which take away the stress of threading the needle. The frame is usually made of plastic or a lightweight material instead of the steel design, making them lightweight and cheaper than a regular sewing machine.
Here is a list of a few selected sewing machines to narrow down your search:
Sew Cool Machine
- The threadless design eliminates the need to stress over threading the needle.
- The needless design adds a layer of safety, as there is no needle to pierce a finger.
- At the push of a button, your child can finish one of nine included sewing projects, sparking their creativity and love of sewing.
- Wonderful for first-time sewers or those just starting to explore their interest.
My Very Own Kids Sewing Machine
- Looks and feels more like a regular sewing machine, preparing the child for future sewing.
- Includes a finger guard to protect small sewer’s hands.
- Ready to work right out of the box, a perk when going to excited and impatient children.
Singer Deluxe Toy Chainstitch Sewing Machine
- Works very similarly to an adult sewing machine to prepare your child for future projects, without the investment of a full-size sewing machine.
- There is no bobbin to deal with, which makes the machine easy to use. However, this does sometimes cause the stitch to fall out.
- A carrying handle on the top makes for easy transportation.
- Adjustable tension wheels and foot pedal controls are just like adult sewing machines.
NEX Sewing Machine Children Present Portable Crafting Mending Machine
- The most similar to an adult sewing machine, this choice will make your child feel like a real seamstress.
- Lightweight material and a handle on top makes this sewing machine extremely portable,
- Works on battery power, so your machine can be used anywhere.
- It comes with 12 installed stitch patterns, making the possible projects to be created endless.
As long as people wear clothes, the demand for sewing talent will never die. Choosing the best fitting sewing machine for their first encounters with the craft may form their opinion of it later in life. By providing them with a machine that is safe and easy to use, they will learn a love of sewing that will last a lifetime. We would love to hear from you.
If you have any questions about the above products, have another suggestion for a child’s sewing machine, or would like to find other options on sewing machines, please feel free to contact us or visit our website.